Important Snow & Ice Control Information
Snow & Ice Control (Snow Plowing)
Snow and ice removal from Village streets is one of the most vital functions provided by the Village of Northbrook and the Public Works Department. Please be aware of the following regulations to help the Village's snow removal and ice control efforts.
Ordinances Regarding Snow Removal
Section 24-9 - Placing Snow in Streets
It is unlawful for any person to:
- Plow or otherwise remove accumulated snow from a private parking lot and deposit same on a village street or right-of-way.
- Plow snow from a private driveway and deposit same on a village street in such a manner as to decrease the drive-able width of any such street.
- Plow snow from a private driveway and deposit same in such a manner as to block or decrease the use-able width of any other private driveway or to block a fire hydrant.
Section 24-10 - Interference With Snow Removal
It is unlawful for any person to obstruct, harass, prevent or otherwise interfere with any employee of the village engaged in snow removal service or to obstruct, cause damage to or otherwise interfere with any village owned, leased or contracted vehicle used in conjunction with snow removal services.
Section 24-103 - Snow Removal Operations (Parking)
It shall be unlawful for any person to park or cause to be parked any vehicle on any public street within the village at any time within 12 hours after a snow fall of 2 inches or more, unless within such time the public street has been cleared of snow.
Standard Operating Procedures
The Public Works Department follows the following Village approved Standard Operating Procedures:
Streets Not Plowed by Northbrook
Not all streets within the Village limits of Northbrook are plowed by our Public Works Department. For a listing of Private, State or Cook County roads view the Street Not Plowed by Northbrook Public Works (PDF). For your convenience, the following is a listing of the State and Cook County roads and their contact information.
Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT)
IDOT is responsible for:
- Dundee Road
- Pfingsten Road (south of Highland and north of Maria)
- Waukegan Road
- Willow Road
Illinois Tollway Information Hotline
The Illinois Tollway Information Hotline is 800 Toll FYI (800-865-5394).
Cook County Highway Department is responsible for:
- Lake Cook Road
- Landwehr Road (south of Dundee)
- Sanders Road
- Skokie Frontage Road (south of ComEd)
- Sunset Ridge Road (south of Midway)
- Techny Road (Shermer to Sanders)
- Walters Avenue (between Pfingsten and Sanders)
Making a Report
To report emergency conditions on County roads, call 708-448-8006. To report emergency conditions on Village roads, call 847-272-4711.