- Utility & Telecom Services
- Utility Billing
If you are moving into, out of, or within Northbrook, call 847-664-4171 to setup or change your water billing account. The Village will need to obtain a final water meter reading before transferring service. The Village does not issue transfer stamps.
Water service is billed quarterly. The water rate is $5.88 per 1,000 gallons. Water bills also include sanitary sewer ($1.26 per 1,000 gallons) and storm water ($1.00 per 1,000 gallons) charges. Water bills are typically due the 21st of the month. A 5% late fee is applied to late payments.
Water bills can be paid:
- Online with your account number.
- Via mail. Mail a check payable to the Village of Northbrook and the bill stub to:
Village of Northbrook
P.O. Box 7760
Carol Stream, IL 60197-7760
- With auto pay - enroll here.
- Over the telephone, with a credit card and your account number, at 844-753-9379.
- In-person at Village Hall (1225 Cedar Lane) Monday-Friday from 8:30 am-4:30 pm with cash, check, or credit card and your bill stub.
- By dropping payment and the bill stub in the deposit box behind Village Hall, at the Police Station, or at Wood Oaks Jr. High.
Common Household Water Problems
An unusually high utility bill is often caused by a leak or a major change in water use. Some potential causes for a high bill include the following:
- Leaking or running toilets: A running toilet can use up to 200 gallons of water a day.
- Dripping Faucets: A dripping faucet (or appliance) can waste up to 20 gallons of water a day.
- Family and Guests: If you have a new addition or visitors, your bill may go up due to increased consumption.
- Lawn and Garden Watering: A lawn or garden can consume high volumes water, especially during a hot dry period.
- Other Leaks: One method to determine whether or not there is a leak is to read your meter at night and again in the morning before you shower. If the meter has moved, you most likely have a leak somewhere in your home.
If you have a higher utility bill and cannot find the source of the higher consumption, contact the Water Billing Division at 847-664-4171.
Water Meter Problems
While unusual, water meters do experience problems from time to time. The most common occurrence is a leaking meter, which can lead to a higher water bill and potentially get larger without repairs. To report a leaking meter or for other meter problems, contact the Water Department at 847-272-4711 for an evaluation.
Water & Sewer Service
1225 Cedar Lane
Northbrook, IL 60062
Phone: : 847-664-4171