Village Service Updates
Refuse & Recycling
Residents can place out one bulk item for free collection each week, which will be picked up on your regular collection day. If you put a mattress out for collection, it must be covered in plastic or with a mattress disposal kit. The following are not considered bulk items and will not be picked up by Advanced Disposal as such: electronics (TVs, printers, etc.), construction debris, landscape waste, concrete, stone, dirt, large automobile parts, liquid waste, or tree stumps
From March 23 and until further notice, Advanced Disposal and Simple Recycling, the Village's contractor for curbside textile recycling, have changed their collection services:
- All refuse and recycling must be placed in the company designated cart or a can with handles (only if you do not have a cart). Loose items and stickered bags or items outside of the container will not be collected.
- At this time, yard waste service is unaffected, but potential changes are anticipated.
- If you put a mattress out for collection, it must be covered in plastic or with a mattress disposal kit.
- Learn more about Advanced Disposal.
- The program is resuming June 8.
- Learn more about Simple Recycling.
ComEd has taken additional steps to help ensure its residential customers across northern Illinois have access to electric service during this critical time. If customers are currently unable to travel to a walk-in location to make a payment, ComEd is not disconnecting service for non-payment and is waiving all new late payment charges through May 1, 2020, or until the end of the governor’s state of emergency declaration, whichever is later.
Since it is not critical at this time to visit a ComEd payment location to make a payment, ComEd offers mail and electronic payment options. ComEd is also working with customers who contact us to establish payment arrangements and identify energy assistance options to address their specific needs.
We encourage you to visit ComEd's website to complete the following actions from home:
- Make a payment
- Make payment arrangements
- Report an electric outage
- View your bill by signing into My Account
- Start, stop or move service
- Learn about assistance programs
- Get tips on saving energy while working from home
- Learn about other ways ComEd supports communities
- Download the ComEd App where you can view and pay your bill, report an outage, and register for alerts.
From March 18 until further notice, Northbrook’s Village Hall and Public Works Center will be closed to the public. This decision has been made to protect the health and safety of our staff and the community amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
The Village of Northbrook will continue providing services, many of which can be conducted online, by phone, or with slight adjustment, including the following:
- Submit questions about Administrative Hearings by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 847-664-4022.
- Administrative Hearings originally scheduled for March 20, April 29, May 15, and June 2 are postponed to July 6.
Development & Planning Services
- Call 847-664-4066 for zoning inquiries and questions about your property.
- Other business can be conducted by phone at 847-664-4050 or by email at email@example.com.
- All payments will be accepted via credit card over the phone at 847-664-4050. Payment by check can be accommodated with further assistance from staff - call 847-664-4050 (check payment will not be accepted over the phone).
- Building-related inspections are being scheduled or performed following social distancing guidelines. Call 847-664-4050 for more information.
- Permit and zoning applications are being accepted and processed through a new system:
- Email all application paperwork and plans electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Drop off hard copies behind Village Hall (1225 Cedar Lane) under the covered entrance area on the east side of the building during business hours only. Find the “Application Drop-Off Table,” and include your paperwork in one of the provided banker boxes.
- Pay water bills online or over the phone with no extra charge at 844-753-9379 (credit card or check payments).
- Pay parking tickets online.
- Submit a water meter reading request online.
- Purchase a new vehicle sticker or pet license with the online form. Mail application with payment and include rabies certificate if purchasing a pet license.
- Learn more, apply for, or check your balance for the Taxi Program online.
- For water-related questions, contact the Water Department directly by phone at 847-664-4171 or by email to email@example.com.
- Payments will be accepted through the mail or in one of the Village’s payment drop boxes:
- Behind Village Hall (1225 Cedar Lane)
- At the Northbrook Police Station (1401 Landwehr Road)
- At Wood Oaks Junior High (1250 Sanders Road)
- Call 847-664-4494 for ambulance billing questions or to pay an ambulance bill.
- Call ahead to pay and schedule a permit pick-up (fire prevention permits – alarms, sprinklers, special suppression) at 847-664-4495.
- Annual fire life safety inspections or re-inspections will not be conducted from March 18-April 30.
- Construction inspections related to the fire code will continue.
- Submit FOIA requests by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apply for the House Watch Program by phone at 847-664-4180.
- File an alarm permit online.
- For non-emergency situations, call 847-564-2060. For emergencies, call 9-1-1.
- The following programs and services will be suspended until further notice:
- The Drug Take Back Program
- The Citizen Police Academy
- Department tours and ride along programs
- Coffee with a Cop
- Fingerprinting with the exception of exigent circumstances
- Car seat installations with exceptions
- Group presentations
- Solicitor and Chauffer licensing