During the summer months, temperatures in Illinois can reach unsafe levels. Avoid heat stroke and other heat-related injury by practicing the following:
- drink plenty of fluids
- stay in the shade or indoors as much as possible
- take frequent breaks (in an air-conditioned space if possible) while working outside
- check on elderly neighbors and those with functional needs
- take pets indoors and make sure they have plenty of water
- never leave children or pets unattended in a vehicle
Those who do not have access to air conditioning are encouraged to take advantage of cooling centers throughout Cook County.