Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
A catalytic converter helps clean your car’s exhaust emissions; it is made up of precious metals such as rhodium, platinum, and palladium. The price of some of these metals has risen sharply in recent years.
Cars that are most often targeted are hybrid vehicles, as the converter is used less frequently. There are many makes of vehicles subject to this type of offense. Over the last week, the following makes/models are particularly vulnerable in the Northbrook area:
- Work Trucks
- Toyota Prius
- Honda Accord
- Mitsubishi Outlander
- Honda CR-V
What you can do to protect your vehicle? To reduce the risk of having your catalytic converter stolen, follow the advice below:
• Secure your vehicle: park in a garage or securely fenced-in area
• Park in well-lit areas: if you cannot park in the garage, park in a well-lit area or use motion sensor lights
• Lock your vehicle: always lock your vehicle and set your alarm
• Use a home video system: ensure your video system at home captures where your vehicle is parked
• Anti-theft devices: install an anti-theft device to the converter
• Observe and report: if you see someone acting suspicious under a vehicle, report it to the police. Obtain as much information as possible, including any vehicle registrations