Regulating Cannabis Businesses in Northbrook
On October 22, 2019 the Village Board of Trustees adopted Ordinance No. 2019-70 amending the Northbrook Zoning Code regarding Cannabis Business Establishments. The adopted amendments to the Zoning Code allow the following cannabis related businesses by special permit approval in the noted Zoning Districts. The districts where the use is allowed by special permit is identified with an “S” in the column. If there is no letter in the corresponding row or column, the use is not allowed in that zoning district.
|SIC No.||Use Title||C-1||C-2||C-3||C-4||C-5||ICS||I-1||I-2|
|2834.01||Cannabis Cultivation Center||S||S|
|2834.02||Cannabis Craft Grower||S||S|
|5912.01||Medical Cannabis Dispensary||S||S||S||S||S|
|5912.02||Adult Use Cannabis Dispensary||S||S||S||S||S|
Each of the above terms are also defined in the Northbrook Zoning Code. They are defined as follows:
- ADULT USE CANNABIS DISPENSARY. A facility operated by an organization or business that is registered by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation or successor to acquire cannabis from a cultivation center, craft grower, processing organization, or another dispensary for the purpose of selling or dispensing cannabis, cannabis-infused products, cannabis seeds, paraphernalia, or related supplies and educational materials to purchasers or to qualified medical cannabis patients and caregivers, including a registered medical cannabis organization as defined in the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act or its successor Act.
- CANNABIS CULTIVATION CENTER. A facility licensed by the Illinois Department of Agriculture to cultivate, process, transport, and perform other similar activities to provide cannabis and cannibals-infused products to cannabis business establishments.
- CANNABIS CRAFT GROWER. A facility licensed by the Illinois Department of Agriculture to cultivate, dry, cure and package cannabis and perform other similar activities to make cannabis available for sale at an authorized cannabis dispensary or use by a cannabis processor. The maximum allowable size of a cannabis craft grower shall comply with the Illinois Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act.
- CANNABIS INFUSER OR INFUSER ORGANIZATION. A facility licensed by the Illinois Department of Agriculture that directly incorporates cannabis or cannabis concentrate to produce cannabis-infused products.
- MEDICAL CANNABIS CULTIVATION CENTER. A facility operated by an organization or business that is registered by the Illinois Department of Agriculture to perform necessary activities to provide only registered medical cannabis Dispensaries with usable medical cannabis.
- MEDICAL CANNABIS DISPENSARY. A facility operated by an organization or business that is registered by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation to acquire medical cannabis from a registered cultivation center for the purpose of dispensing cannabis, paraphernalia, or related supplies and educational materials to registered qualifying patients.
In addition to requiring special permit approval for operation of any of the above listed uses, the uses all have additional regulations regarding how the businesses can be operated. The conditions specific to each use are found in the Zoning Code Text Amendment which can be reviewed by clicking the following link:
To obtain a special permit for a cannabis related business, an applicant must file a formal application with the Village of Northbrook which will undergo a thorough review by all Village Departments, Village Attorney, and possibly other consultants including. Following staff review, the application will undergo a public hearing with the Plan Commission and possibly other commissions, prior to having any recommendations sent to the Board of Trustees for final approval or denial. This process can take anywhere from three to nine months depending on the size of the project.
If you are interested in filing an application for a cannabis related business please contact Michaela Kohlstedt, Deputy Director of Development and Planning Services at 847-664-4057.
Current Cannabis Related Business Applications Under Review in Northbrook
On January 28, 2020 (the link will take you to the meeting agenda where you can view the meeting and see the application filed) the Northbrook Board of Trustees conducted a preliminary review of a request for a special permit to allow a Cannabis Craft Growing, Processing, and Infusing business at 3151-3165 Commercial Avenue. Following a favorable preliminary review by the Board of Trustees, the applicant filed a formal application, Docket No. PCD-20-02, which has since undergone its first public hearing with the Plan Commission on February 18, 2020. The public hearing was continued to March 3, 2020.
Approved Cannabis Related Businesses in Northbrook
On December 20, 2019, the Village of Northbrook Board of Trustees approved Ordinance No. 2019-77 granting Special Permit approval for an Adult Use Cannabis Dispensary (SIC No. 5912.02) for Greenhouse Group, LLC located at 755 Skokie Boulevard. Detailed information regarding this application can be found under Docket No. PCD-13 when clicking on the link and scrolling to the appropriate docket number. By scrolling to the docket number on that webpage, you can then select the linked Plan Commission and Board of Trustee agenda dates to review detailed staff reports and information provided by Greenhouse Group, LLC.
Currently, the Village is waiting for Greenhouse Group, LLC to file for a building permit to allow for the build-out of the business in the existing building located at 755 Skokie Boulevard. At this time there is no anticipated opening date for the business. Please check back here for updated information as it is received.
Facts about Cannabis Legalization in Illinois
On January 1, 2020 it will be legal for adults over the age of 21 to purchase, possess, and consume cannabis (aka marijuana) for recreational purposes.
Here are some important facts to keep in mind:
- Cannabis will only be legally sold at licensed dispensaries and, like alcohol, it will be illegal to sell to minors under 21.
- Possession of cannabis by persons under 21 remains a Class A misdemeanor and can be grounds for revoking a minor’s driver’s license.
- It is illegal to consume cannabis in any public place, including parks, sidewalks, restaurants, bars, and any other place where smoking is prohibited under the Smoke Free Illinois Act.
- Adults will be allowed to consume cannabis in their own residences, although landlords/management companies will be able to prohibit the smoking of cannabis in rental properties. Residents in a rental unit or within the common areas of a condominium or apartment complex should check with their management company or landlord on their rules.
- It is still illegal to drive under the influence of cannabis.
- Cannabis may only be transported in a car if it is in a sealed package that is inaccessible to the driver. Violation of this law is a Class A misdemeanor.
Although the law has changed, marijuana remains a powerfully intoxicating substance. For those who choose to consume, please do so wisely.