About the Business License Officer
The Business License Officer oversees the licensure of businesses located within the jurisdiction of the Village of Northbrook. The Municipal Code does not currently require the licensing of home occupations, except for daycare service facilities operated as a home occupation.
The Zoning Code does permit home businesses, however, it does not allow more than four persons who are employees, clients, or independent contractors of the home occupation and are not domiciled in the dwelling units at one time. Day care service facilities operating as a home occupation shall be allowed attendance of up to eight children, including family members, at any one time. (See Northbrook Zoning Code, Section 9-102 C. Use Limitations). Please submit a Zoning Analysis Application (PDF) to ensure your business is compliant with the Zoning Code.
Business License Applications
*For establishments that sell/serve food and nursing homes, business licenses are not transferable under new ownership, new licenses will not be issued, and occupancy cannot take place until inspections have been completed.
The Municipal Code requires licenses for businesses in the following categories:
- Adult Uses (Entertainment, etc.)
- Amusement / Vending Devices
- Boarding Kennel/Pet Store
- Bowling / Bocce
- Business Termination Sales (Fraudualent Sales, e.g."Going Out of Business Sales.")
- Chauffeur & Taxi/Taxi Dispatch
- Construction Roll-off Containers / Waste Haulers
- Contractual Food Service
- Day Care
- Driving Range/Golf Food Vending Machines
- Food Delivery Vehicles
- Food Processing Establishment
- Food Service Carryouts
- General Broker/Ticket Agent
- Health Club
- Hobbyist/Breeders Permit (Contact Animal Control Officer at Police Department)
- Machine Shops/Foundries
- Massage Therapist (State license required)
- Mobile Food Vendors (i.e. Food Trucks)
- Motor Vehicle: Service/Sales
- Movie Theaters
- Nursing Homes
- Restaurant/Retail Foods
- Retail Establishments
- Salons (Hair, Nail, etc.) (State license required)
- Scavengers (Waste Haulers)
- Second Hand Dealers
- Service Establishment
- Tobacco Sales
Fire and Zoning InspectionsPlease note that all new businesses must have fire and zoning inspections prior to receiving their business license. Please schedule these with the following contacts:
Contact Kevin Frangiamore at 847-664-4501.
Development & Planning DepartmentContact the Development & Planning Department at 847-664-4050.
Paying for a LicenseSee options on how to pay for your license on the Pay My Bill page.
Business License Requirements/ReferralsMany questions are asked concerning related business requirements and/or complaints. The following are referral numbers for these issues:
- Registering an Assumed Name
Tax ID's, W2 Forms, Information
Illinois Department of Revenue
Freedom of Information
Better Business Bureau